The School House, Kirkby in Cleveland

Currently available

£300,000.00

INTRODUCTION
The School House represents a unique opportunity to acquire a property that has never been offered for sale on the open market before. The School House was built in 1683 by Henry Edmonds. Henry Edmonds originated from Worsbrough near Barnsley where the family wealth was based on profits from mining. They occupied Worsbrough Hall which has now been converted into flats. Henry’s father purchased 1500 acres of Land at Kirkby in Cleveland where Henry allowed local people to use the stone and peat and graze sheep. Henry decided to build and open a school. The School House was built for “the maintenance of an honest, learned Grammar Schoolmaster conformable to the Church of England for the teaching and instructing of children within the township of Kirkby.”

Henry Edmonds intended to leave all those lands he purchased in the Parish of Kirkby to the Schoolmaster of the School at Kirkby. His wishes were not executed by his brother Thomas and as a result the Vicar and other Trustees approached Thomas’s son Frances Edmonds. The Trustees then paid 5 shillings to Frances for the transfer of the properties.

The Kirkby and Great Broughton School that we see today resulted from the amalgamation of two schools in 1974, The Henry Edmonds School in Kirkby attended by boys and the school for girls in Great Broughton. The Henry Edmonds Trust continues to support the school.
SITUATION
School House is conveniently situated in the centre of Kirkby In Cleveland along a quiet lane known as Hill Road. This is an attractive rural village located south of the popular market town of Stokesley. It is also within reasonable commuting distance of Teesside (15 minutes).

DESCRIPTION
The School House is a Grade II Listed traditional stone built 3 bedroom property. The property occupies a slightly elevated central position in Kirkby in Cleveland opposite the Black Swan Inn. The property requires modernising inside.

GARDEN AND GROUNDS
To the front of the property there is a lawned garden with stone flagged walkway. To the right of the property is a veranda with a useful shed. There is a selection of mature shrubs and bushes in both the front and rear gardens. To the rear of the property is an enclosed lawn garden with two further outbuildings. One of the outbuildings has the benefit of an electricity supply.

Features

  • Grade II listed traditional house
  • Steeped in history
  • Large garden with outbuildings
  • In need of modernisation
  • Built in 1683
  • Viewing by appointment only

Documents

Download brochure

Download floorplan

Get in touch